Our most popular gain setting tool. Also good for sniffing out faulty equipment. Find max clean headunit volume level, set processor / preamp gains, and amplifier gains.
The purpose of this tool is to enable the installer to set the gain of an audio amplifier to match the source unit’s output level, accurately and quickly. It can also be useful for detecting distortion in the audio signal caused by poorly designed or malfunctioning audio equipment.
What is included?
- The Distortion Detector (DD-1)
- Protective silicon rubber boot
- Calibrated Test tone CD
- This manual
- Pride of ownership
About the Design
When you pick up the DD-1, know that you are holding a precision piece of equipment. If treated as such it should provide you with many years of reliable service. We have chosen a 9V battery as a power source for a few reasons:
- They are readily available
- Isolating the DD-1 from the vehicle’s electrical system for power, guarantees that it will only measure what it is supposed to measure; distortion in the audio signal, not noise in the charging system
We also chose an RCA input connector for a few reasons:
- It makes it pretty easy to measure the output of a headunit directly, if you choose to do so
- Should the harness become damaged it is easily replaceable or repairable in the field
- The Distortion Detector’s circuitry is 100% analog
- Distortion Detection trigger level > 1.0% Harmonic Distortion
- Guaranteed operating range of input signal is 1.2Vrms – 125Vrms. (15,000 Watts at 1 ohm) Autoranging
- Signal Present LED trigger voltage 750mVrms
- Low Battery LED trigger battery voltage < 5.6Vdc
- Auto-shut off timer 8 - 10 minutes after ON button is pressed
- Shipping Box 9 x 6 x 2 inches, 2 lbs
Owner's Manual (PDF)
- DD-1 CD Track 1
- DD-1 CD Track 2
- DD-1 CD Track 3
- DD-1 CD Track 4
- DD-1 CD Track 5
- DD-1 CD Track 6
- DD-1 CD Track 7
- DD-1 CD Track 8
- DD-1 CD Track 9
- DD-1 Sample Distortion Demo Track
This is a great product, also they have amazing customer service!
As a car audio installer, I install sub systems, sometimes two or three a day. I’ve purchased a DD-1 less than a year ago and it’s worked amazingly but even the first time I’ve used it the test leads broke I’ve had to patch them a few times, and then had to change the RCA end to a better one but I still have the issues of the hair thin wire from the leads that keeps breaking. After so much frustration, I’ve dug Into the test leads offered on the Damore website and they say: “more heavy duty”, but I’m still confused as to why they didn’t just sell those to me instead. I plan on buying the rest of the products but if I have to spend ~$15 for each meter that I buy that just seems a bit odd I know these products have great build quality, but I just don’t see why they wouldn’t ship the heavier duty test leads with the product to begin with.
Excellent tool, fast delivery. Thank you! Now I can rest assured I'm getting the maximum out of my system.